donderdag 1 februari 2018

Preface van H. Joachim, A Study of the Ethics of Spinoza (1901)



Sinds vanmiddag ben ik (eindelijk) de gelukkige bezitter van een origineel exemplaar van het boek van Harold H. Joachim, A Study of the Ethics of Spinoza (Ethica Ordine Geometrico Demonstrata). Clarendon Press, 1901. Het gaat om een afgestoten bibliotheekexemplaar dat er nog zeer fraai uitziet: het is door de Cumberland County Library weggedaan, nadat het zo te zien weinig of misschien wel nooit is uitgeleend. Ze hebben het aldaar nu in ieder geval niet meer in de catalogus [cf.]. Via het onvolprezen Antiquariaat Spinoza Amsterdam heb ik het nu voor €26,50 in mijn bezit. Zo’n origineel boek uit 1901 is toch leuker om in je handen te nemen dan en moderne reprint.
Ik ben benieuwd hoeveel ik erin ga lezen. Ik weet dat Joachim’s boek een idealistische lezing van de Ethica brengt, maar ben benieuwd hoe storend dat is.

Aan het eind ook een foto van de titelpagina. Ik verbaas me altijd weer hoe bibliothecarissen het klaarspelen om hun stempel precies door tekst heen te zetten, terwijl er genoeg ruimte was om dat stempel elders te plaatsen. Als het per se zo moet, denk ik dat ik ongeschikt zou zijn als bibliothecaris

 
Preface

The Ethics is a work which presents many perplexities to the interpreter. Barren abstractions, tortured into the form of ‘ geometrical demonstrations ’ by a pedantic logic, appear to constitute the larger portion of it: and the remainder has been taken for poetry pure and simple. It has seemed easy to annihilate the first with a few catchwords of criticism, dismissing the second as the dreams of a mystic. In the following exposition I have tried to interpret the Ethics as a whole. I have assumed that the 'poetry' and  'imagination' which breathe through its pages are — as in a great thinker they must be — in the service of a mind, which is ‘pedantic ’ only in its endeavour to think clearly and reason logically. The so-called ‘mysticism' must, I am convinced, be read as part and parcel of Spinoza’s metaphysical views ; and the ‘God’ of the earlier parts of the Ethics must be interpreted in the light of the whole work. In the course of my exposition many difficulties and criticisms forced themselves upon me; but I have endeavoured so to arrange their discussion that it may interrupt the statement of Spinoza’s views as little as possible.
Where it seemed important, I have traced the historical relation between the theories of Spinoza and those of Descartes; but I have made no attempt to give a general sketch of the latter’s philosophy. It would have to be more than a sketch to be of value, and for a complete exposition I have no space.
In the desire to avoid needless obscurity I have sometimes passed over the views of well-known commentators in silence, and I hope this omission will not be attributed either to ignorance or to conceit. Wherever it was possible for me to trace a creditor I have acknowledged my debts, and in the appended list of ‘References and Abbreviations’ I have mentioned those commentaries which have helped me most.  
In common with all English students of Spinoza, I am greatly indebted to the works of Sir Frederick Pollock, the late Principal Caird, and the late Dr. Martineau; and my obligation does not end where my interpretation differs from theirs. But, so far as I am aware, no English book appeals only to readers who wish to make a special study of Spinoza’s philosophy; and I venture to publish this attempt at a critical exposition of the Ethics in the hope that, whatever its shortcomings, it may help to fill a gap.
I owe the interpretation of two of Spinoza’s geometrical illustrations (below, p. 32 note 2 and p. 223 note 2) to the kind help of my colleague, Mr. A. L. Dixon, Fellow and Tutor of Merton College: and I am glad to have this opportunity of thanking my friend. Dr. Robert Latta, Professor of Moral Philosophy in the University of Aberdeen, who read nearly the whole of this book before it was printed, and made many valuable suggestions and criticisms.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten